Archive for category Relationship Management
Who wouldn’t like to make people go WOW from the real first second you meet with people? Don’t get me wrong here, I am not talking about the kind of eyes you on you because of the clothes brand you are dressed up with. No, I am talking about the kind of admiration people have for you because of the way you behaved yourself and set yourself notoriously apart from the rest of the crew.
Last year in Nashville,TN there I attended to the Toastmaster national contest where a great friend of mine, Stephen Cornwell,was competitng. The beautiful reception room of the hotel was full of pretty professional, and high class people. After the speeches contest that my friend actually won, a reception banquet took place at the 12th floor. When I got there, I met with the Toastmaster Director of Marketing and another the Executive Director. Here were two people I never met before but heard of and that I would love to meet up with again, but should I make sure they go WOW from the 1st second we talk together. Here is what I did that day that tremendously worked and that I keep on doing today when I meet anyone whether for the first time or not.
- I give my 5 stars-smile – Your smile is such a powerful to tool to attract people. Its power to light yourself up definitely plays a major role in moving people barriers to come to you. If you have a bright smile, people will definitely go WOW and will ask about who you are.
- I show enthusiasm – It’s beautiful to see someone who is enthusiast, especially these days where people live under any kind of stress. If you look miserable as the majority of people out there, don’t expect people to go WOW when they see you. If you show that you enjoy life and people, you wil definitely set yourself apart from others and that will make people go WOW.
- I engage in mature and intrustive yet relaxing discussion – We all out there to make connections, to search for better opportunities, to pass out and grab business cards but people do not enjoy that kind of networking jerk. When I meet with people or like I met the Toastmaster Executives, we’ve been talking about places we have lived in, visiteed, studied, and the diffenrent languages that we all speak. That is usually great subjects to talk about when you first meet someone becuase not only it lift you up and position you well in their mind, but also it helps you and the person to know more about each other, break the ice, and see how open-minded the person can be. If the people you meet are people you already know, just like friends, after the warm greeting, always with the 5 stars-smile, you can talk about what you remember they love th most. For some and especially guys, it’s sport. For women, vacations and new shopping centers can defimitely be great subjects to talk about. Through the discussion you can always go to more relevant social issues the society is facing or even talk about your job and profession. But do not do it right at the begining even if it’s your best friend, especialy if you meet out of a job environment.
- Like them but leave them – Something you want to avoid is to make people feel like you are taking too much of their time. So even if the initial contact went superb, or even if it’s your friend but you guys met at some kind of event, after the warm greeting, the 5 stars-smile, the quick wonderful talk, let them free to go and meet other people. They didn’t with you or for you at that event, so it will be unpolite to keep all their attention and time just for you. The same is true for you as well. So politely, either yourself or let them know that if they feel like going around the room and meet up with other peers, that’s is fine with you.
- I make sure I say good bye – Relationships are really sensitives and the one mistake you definitely want to avoid is to take it for granted. After a great talk as you meet someone, if the two of you decide to go around the room and meet others, make sure before you live that you go meet them again and say thanks for the sharing as you say good bye. At that time, if the connection has been that well, you can then ask for business cards or if already know they person, make sure you update the contact infomation.
It’s always good to meet people and even new people. It’s even greater when you meet them and they go WOW because of your skills in meeting up with them, leaving a lasting impression that will make them be always happy to meet with you again.
In the past, to succeed in business, salespeople had to work 80% of their time prospecting new market and only 20% of their time working on their relationship management. Today, it’s all different. To succeed in business, to create more life opportunities, you need to work mainly at creating, developing, and managing your relationships. Forget about the vendor etiquette you once heard it’s good to post on the front head, now, in today competitive market, you have to be the partner, the friend.
As a company executive, salesperson, or simply as an individual, what do you think your most valuable asset really is? Researches have shown that the most valuable asset today is your relationship. Building lifelong relationship is the most rewarding task you can do for yourself and for your company today.
How do you position yourself in your customer/friends mind?
- What would be the dominant perception? Everything in today’s world is perception. That is why the way you are perceive can either help you or hurt you, absolutely everything when it comes to perception counts. What attributes would your customers/friends use if we were to wake them up at 4 o’clock in the morning and ask them what they think about you?
To build lifelong customer/friends relationships, we want to make sure to be perceived as following:
- You constantly work at improving their life or business
- You are always there when they need you and help solving their problems
- You are a strategic thinker, helping them to see what they can be in the future
- You understand their situations.
- Once the dominant perception is done, the next step you want to work on is your personal positioning. Stop fooling yourself, people go along with you according to the position you have in their mind and the image you reflect. Here are some qualifications they judge you on:
- Trust – Do you position yourself or your company as someone or a company we can trust. we can count on, and that is reliable?
- Domain of expertise – Which area are you r your company expert in? When you position yourself as expert in one domain, the good thing is that once someone is in need of that expertise, it’s your name that will pop out instantly.
- Customer/Friend knowledge – Whatever the type of relationship you have withpeople, for that relationship to win the test of time, you need to show the persons or the company that you care about them. Genuine interest here is important. How much do you know of the other person? How much do you of the company you want to win the business? And it’s so easy to show someone that you care about him. Simply ask questions, give feedbacks, double check with them, give recommendations.
- Professional position – Always remember people around you, even if they do not say so, want to be successful and the one way they look at getting there is to walk with people who are successful. Even if humility is a great appreciated quality, telling about your title and achievements at work or telling about the market share of your company and how long you’ve been in business will definitely help in giving you credit and making you legit. If you don’t feel comfortable doing it by yourself, then you can let people tell about you using testimonials for instance.
- Professionalism – We tend to believe sometimes that professionalism is only good when we are at work. Well, at home, at a social event, in transport, the way you handle yourself counts. The way you carry yourself counts. the way you behave around people counts. No need to say how even more important it is in a working environment.
People, today, buy the result they will benefit from being in relationship with you. If their profit of being in relationship with you is high, the demands of that relationship are low, you show that you care about them, people will always keep up with you. Also, if you find a way to constantly serve your friends/customers and friends’ friends/customers’ customers, then you will always be part of their closed circles. Just like the life and sales expert, motivational speaker Zig Ziglar said: you can have anything in live you want if you can help enough others get what they want.
On the 4th of July week-end, I had friends over at my new house for barbecue. As we were talking, one of my friend brought up an issue she has hard time to deal with: how to become more outgoing. I must confess, when you are born with that talented skill of being naturally outgoing, life can definitely be a lot easier for you. But for those of you who are not gifted in that field, don’t worry. You can learn to be more outgoing and the benefit behind it will be more exciting social life, and also you will see better professional opportunities comming your way.
Now, let me skip the bla-bla-bla and go straight to the point keeping it all short and simple. You want to be more outgoing?
- First, be more self-confident: That might sound crazy to you as you read it but the one reason why people stay at home is because they are not confident enough that they’ll be accepted to enter the places they actually want to go. Let me be more precised here. When I talk about acceptance, I mean being accepted as you are. So here, you definitely want to pump up your confiddence level to the point that you believe you are welcome anywhere you want to go. Is it a five-star restaurant and only high class get in there and are screened? well, that’s you. Is it a seminar that merely top executives attend? Well, it sounds like you. Bottom line is that you must be self-confident enough that you deserve to be out at those places you want to go.
- Get out of your house: You want to be more outgoing? well, get out of your house and go some places. So many times you will see people who hide behind false beliefs such as :”Oh! I am not an ongoing person.” Well, truth is that even if you are not the kind of person that will go out and party every night, I am sure at 90% that you would to meet people that will positively impact in your live and and if you see that kind of people you will be more than welcome to be out with them. So, stop bluffing yourself and start scanning your neighborhood. Ask yourself what kind of places you like to go have fun, find out where they are and without asking yourself questions just go there. You like swimming? Well, don’t ask yourself if you are well shaped enough to be in a swimming pool. Go find pools that are in your neigborhood, get yourself a swimming suit and just go there. Remember you deserve to be there and have fun and as you get fun and enjoy yourself, you will attract more people to you.
- Invite friends: When it comes to fun just like in team work, the more people the better. You want to be more outgoing? The go through your phone book and and call some of your friends who are naturally outgoing and try to do something with them. The naturally already that positive energy that will push you to go out and you know you will have fun with them. So don’t hesitate to call them and to invite them to go out with you or if you don’t know where to go, then just ask them you feel you going out and ask them if they have some free time to go out with you at a place the both of you would have fun.
I promise you I’d keep this post short and simple so let me conclude with this. Be more outgoing can be very painful sometimes especially if it’s not one of your natural skill. However, wether it’s for business or just for your social life, you don’t want to miss an opportunity to meet someone that can positively impact your life. Find yourself a role model in your close network of friends and relatives and hang out with him, see what he/she does and try to duplicate what works better for you. Whatever you do, get out of your room and go out.